Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Dealing with the high cost of back to school...

"Did you break the bank too?"  my friend questioned as I passed her in the school hall this morning with my arms FULL of back to school supplies. I smiled and laughed in agreement but actually I am happy to say that no, I did not break the bank this year.  I provided eight bags of school supplies to my three school aged children and there were only seven items that I didn't already have on hand. Of those seven items I paid full price for only three.  Here's how to send your kids back to school with minimal expense.
  • Watch the office supply store ads for loss leader sale items and purchase the limit
  • Join OfficeMax and Office Depot rewards programs
  • Watch for 20-100% back in rewards sales and pair that sale with an in-store coupon (they will mail you these when you join the rewards programs)
  • Recycle your ink cartridges (You'll get $2-3 in store rewards)
  • Look for clearance items all year long at Walmart, Smiths et. al.
  • Use coupons for things like clorox wipes, ziplock baggies and kleenex

Here are some samples of the kinds of things I stock up on when they are super cheap!  Pictured above and on sale this week:

Office Max
  • Pencil top erasers .01
  • Backpacks 100% MaxPerks Rewards
Office Depot
  • Pencil Sharpener .01
  • White Board Markers .25
  • 4-PK Glue Sticks .50
Stocking up when prices are low allows you to be prepared for next year, send additional items in during the year when supplies run low and donate supplies for humanitarian school kits---all without breaking the bank!

No comments:

Post a Comment